Death of a Queen: Chaos was not seen on TV as the coffin drove through London

Ministers denied entry, crowd members argued and many demanded to speak to the manager: on Wednesday, there were two very different scenes on either side of the big green walls blocking streets in central London.

When the Queen’s coffin was being taken from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall, crowds of people could be seen on TV in a state of awe.

But away from the cells, the voltage was high.

In an effort to control crowd numbers, temporary green metal barriers manned by guards were used along the route to block access to the lookouts when they filled up, which happened long before the procession began.

But for those stuck outside the green barriers, there was a clear sense of desperation—disappointed by the fact that they were so close and yet could have missed a historic moment.

At some point, the woman accused the man behind her of bruising her and threatened to knock him out.

The two were part of a group tightly packed on a raised platform of concrete, from which the queen’s coffin could be seen floating in the distance.

An older man nearby was frantically taking pictures with his phone, unable to capture anything but the heads of the people in front.

Security was so tight that saw two UK government ministers denied entry despite showing identification.

Northern Ireland Minister of State Steve Baker was forced to call the Prime Minister’s Office before being let through security, and European Minister Leo Docherty was only allowed through after Mr Baker spoke for him.

Civil service employees, some of whom claimed to have been involved in organizing the march, were also not allowed to enter their offices.

At another entry point, a security member told that people were impersonating anyone to get past them.

“One of them said, ‘I’m the royal florist and they should let me in,'” he told

He said that another person claimed that their uncle was in the military and believed that this justified their entry.

A police officer at Westminster Station said Wednesday’s crowd was just a taste of what was expected on Monday at the Queen’s funeral.

Queen Elizabeth II died Thursday at Balmoral Castle in Scotland.

Her body arrived in London on Tuesday, and on Wednesday a solemn procession carried her coffin from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall.

It is there that her coffin will be available for public viewing from 5:00 pm Wednesday to 6:30 am Monday, the day of her funeral.

Both the British and foreigners, determined to see the coffin of the late monarch, stood in line all night in the pouring rain.

Lee Gregory, 58, from London, arrived on Tuesday at 7:30 pm with nothing but a raincoat and a makeshift poncho from a trash bag, later given to him by a fellow Royalist.

“It was dry, but after 25 minutes the skies opened up and I was completely soaked through. He’s still soaked through,” he said, touching his coat.

“It was really hard and didn’t stop until early in the morning.”

Mr Gregory said the Queen has served her country with “dignity, honor and integrity” and it is his duty to be there “rain or shine”.

Like many, he made friends with his comrades in turn, so that everyone could take turns going to the toilet.

One of those friends was American David Liddle, 54, who flew into London from Utah on Tuesday afternoon and got in line at 6:30 p.m.

“We performed during Platinum Jubilee and she didn’t attend many events, so I thought she must be going downhill,” he said.

“And after her husband also died, I thought she might not be far behind, so at that time I started thinking and planning ahead. I wanted to be there when the queen passed and just pay my respects.”

Mr Liddle booked flights and accommodation two hours before the royal family announced her death on Thursday evening.

He said he knew this would be the case when it became known that the Queen’s children rushed to be by her side at Balmoral.

“She exemplifies to me the grace and dignity, the selfless service and loyalty that is generally lacking in our world today,” Mr. Liddle said.

“With her death, I’m kind of wondering maybe the world is changing and losing some of that.”

Patricia King, 69, also spent the night in the rain, but said she would be there even if it was snowing.

She came alone, but has since made friends with five buddies in line.

Ms King, from Norwich, said the kind man next door allowed the group to use his bathroom and take short breaks from the rain.

“We didn’t sleep. Adrenaline was running high,” she said with a smile.

“[The Queen] gave so much of her life for her people and this is one way we can show our respect in return.

And there was another special reason why Miss King chose to be there.

“My mother and I came to the funeral of the Queen Mother in 2002, then we had to stand in line for a long time,” she said. “I lost my mom so this is also my tribute to my mom because my mom was a big royalist.”

Stephen Holgate, 61, from London, arrived at 8 am on Tuesday and finished eighth in line.

“Gradually every hour there appeared several [more] people come, and now there are many more,” he said.

He described the experience of waiting over 24 hours as “fabulous”.

“I didn’t sleep at all. I worked on the energy of the moment,” he said.

“It was an amazing experience. We had a lot of fun and a lot of laughter. Without tears. Tears will flow when we are in front of the coffin, I’m sure.”

Read related topics:Queen Elizabeth II

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: