King Charles is reportedly laying off dozens of employees as offices move to Buckingham Palace.

As many as 100 employees of the former official residence of King Charles III have been notified that they could lose their jobs just days after the 73-year-old became king.

A long list of Clarence House staff members have been notified this week as the new monarch’s offices move to Buckingham Palace following the Queen’s death.

Personal secretaries, financial workers, a public relations team and household staff are among the dozens of employees who are due to be laid off. Many of them are reported to have worked at Clarence House for decades.

One worker said that a group of employees were completely taken aback by the announcement.

“Everyone is furious, including the personal secretaries and the senior team. All staff are working late every night from Thursday to meet this. People were clearly shocked by this,” said one anonymous source. The keeper.

The letter of notification was sent by Sir Clive Alderton, the king’s chief aide.

“The change in the role of our leaders will also mean a change for our household… The list of jobs previously carried out in this household in support of the former Prince of Wales’s personal interests, the former activities and household operations will no longer be carried out, and the household… at Clarence House will be closed . Therefore, it is expected that the need for positions based primarily at Clarence House, whose work supports these areas, will no longer be needed,” the letter said.

“I understand this is disturbing news and I wanted to let you know about the support that is available at the moment.”

A spokesman for Clarence House reacted to the furor on Wednesday.

“Following their accession to the throne last week, the activities of the family of the former Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall ceased and, as required by law, a consultation process began,” the statement said.

“Our employees have served a long and loyal service and while some layoffs will be inevitable, we are urgently working to identify alternative roles for the largest number of employees.”

King Charles III will lead the casket of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, through London on Wednesday before hundreds of thousands of people pay their last respects.

RELATED: Get the latest news on the royal family after the Queen’s death

Six days after her death in Scotland, Queen Elizabeth’s body will be transported by horse-drawn carriage from her home at Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall, where she will remain for four days until her funeral next Monday.

The king and other high-ranking members of the royal family are expected to silently follow the hearse as it races through the streets of the capital, and then hold a vigil upon their arrival at the 12th-century cave hall in Westminster Parliamentary Complex.

The public will be admitted from 17:00 local time, and mourners have already been warned that they will face an endurance test in round-the-clock lines that can stretch up to 5 km.

“It’s going to be emotional and I don’t know how I’m going to feel going in there first,” said Vanessa Nantakumaran, a 56-year-old administrative assistant from Sri Lanka who took her place at the helm. queue on Monday evening.

“Our duty is to thank you. These will be prayers from the heart. It will be very dark, quiet and overwhelming.” The prime minister’s spokesman Liz Truss said strict airport-like rules and security measures were in place and “much more” people were expected than the 200,000 people who walked past the Queen’s mother’s coffin when she died in 2002.

The government has advised people to wear “suitable clothing” and bring portable batteries to keep their cell phones charged, indicating that some people will have to wait all night to even get a glimpse of the coffin.

Hotel rooms in the capital are becoming increasingly difficult to find, with even budget rooms costing £300 ($513) a night, while traffic chiefs and police are forced to keep the city moving and safe under exceptional circumstances.

“This is a major issue for the Metropolitan Police and for me personally, but we have been preparing for many, many years,” newly appointed London police chief Mark Rowley told Sky News on Tuesday.

with AFP

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: