There is plenty of new music to come in 2022, and today Jacqui Swift is selecting 22 bands to be successful next year. … … starting with ten essential tips from SFTW.
1. Holly Humberstone
Last year’s SFTW favorite, a 22-year-old former violinist from Grantham, Lynx, won the Brit Awards Rising Star and said, “I’m a little crazy, but I’m on top of the world. … “
She was spotted after performing on her local radio show, BBC Introduction, and now counts Sam Fender and Lewis Capaldi as big fans.
Capaldi invited her to tour, and Fender asked her to record an acoustic version of his song Seventeen Going Under.
Her narrative songs caused a huge resonance, and she was compared to Lord and Phoebe Bridgers.
The November mini-album The Walls Are Way Too Thin follows the debut album Falling Asleep At The Wheel.
2. GRACY ABRAMS
The daughter of Star Wars director Jay Jay Abrams, her recent gig at London’s Omear sold out in seconds.
The 22-year-old knows how to write poetic and emotional songs about relationships.
She has worked with Aaron Dessner of The National (Taylor Swift, Sharon Van Etten), Joel Little (Lord, Marina) and her regular collaborator Blake Slatkin (The Kid LAROI, Lil Nas X, Justin Bieber) and cites Joni Mitchell, Olivia Rodrigo. and Kate Bush as inspiration.
3. WET FOOT
WE haven’t been as excited as a band from the Isle of Wight since Mark King played bass for Level 42 in the 1980s.
Rian Tisdale and Hester Chambers of Hampshire, who met at school, saw the first single, Chaise Longue, on the radio.
And along with the follow-up Wet Dream, a song about an ex posting unwanted lyrics, they have amassed over 8.5 million streams and three million views on YouTube.
Expect more witty lyrics when their debut album comes out in April.
4. MIMI WEBB
THAT has already been a year for a singer-songwriter from Canterbury, Kent.
Mimi is the first British singer since Dua Lipa in 2017 to have two Top 15 singles before her debut album, with Good Without and Dumb Love.
She said, “I try to write very emotional and real songs.
I hope you feel like I’m singing my story to you. ” Her debut EP “Seven Shades Of Heartbreak” entered the Top 10 and her recent UK tour sold out in four hours.
Influenced by Amy Winehouse, Adele, Sam Smith and Emele Sandé.
5. SKINNER BROTHERS
LONDON, a four-member line-up featuring frontman Zach Skinner, Joe Fisher (guitar), Perry Meadowcroft (bass) and Alfie Clayton (drums).
They were chosen to support Kasabian and The Streets in 2021, and you may have seen them at the Neighborhood Weekender and Isle of Wight festivals.
They have amassed a huge following of new British guitar music fans thanks to their recent releases, EP Culture Non-Stop and the single Put Me Down As A Maybe.
6. LOLA YOUNG
A South Londoner soundtrack for the 2021 John Lewis Christmas ad has released a cover of the 1984 classic “Together in Electric Dreams.”
Glory guaranteed to BRIT High School alumnus nominated for the 2022 Brit Rising Star.
Directed by Nick Shimansky, who directed Amy Winehouse, and Nick Haggett, who signed Adele to XL, she began writing songs at age 11 and won the national open microphone competition at age 13.
She was in the studio with Grammy-winning producer Paul Epworth.
MUSIC works for Ayana-Lee, a native of London, Los Angeles.
Her grandfather was Motown singer Jimmy Ruffin, and David Ruffin of The Temptations is her great-uncle.
Raised by her mom (author of several platinum songs Nicole Dasiana Anderson), she collaborated with KSI on the song Killa Killa.
She has also worked with The Weeknd, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna and Beyoncé.
Listen to the songs Gangster Of Love and Rich Kids to find out what a talented singer she is.
Her album Wednesday’s Child will be out later this year.
BRIGHTON MC is an opportunity to enjoy things and see the fun side of life.
Influenced by Eminem and Lil Wayne, ArrDee (real name Riley Davis) began writing at school, and his witty and humorous pun earned him many fans and two Top 10 singles.
An unlikely star, his singles “Oliver Twist” and “6 AM in Brighton” brought him 6.8 million views on YouTube and made him a name to follow.
He also charted on the Tion Wayne and Russ Millions Body charts. Expect your debut mixtape in the new year.
9. COURT ACT
This post-punk band from Leeds was supported by actors Maxine Peak, Cillian Murphy and Sir Elton John.
Known for their dark and witty lyrics on songs like Payday and their EP Dark Days.
The four – James Smith (vocals), Ryan Needham (bass), Sam Shipstone (guitar) and Jay Russell (drums) have been likened to Arctic Monkeys and Sleaford Mods.
They release their debut album, The Overload, on January 21st.
Catch them live all over the UK this year.
10. ERIN RAE
Nashville folk singer and songwriter releases her album Lighten Up in February.
It was produced by co-writer John Misty’s father Jonathan Wilson and features the recent singles Candy & Curry and Modern Woman, a song about what it means to be a woman today and tackling the evolution of gender norms and expectations.
She is friends with Alabama Shakes vocalist Brittany Howard and has been compared to Joni Mitchell. Catch her live in the UK next month.
AND DON’T MISS THIS
11. JOEY MAXWELL is a South London DIY artist and youtuber who mixes northern soul, hip-hop, guitar and synthesizers.
12. SAM TOMPKINS – Justin Bieber’s Favorite New Artist with other notable fans including Bastille, Elton John, Baby Rexa, Krept & Conan and MNEK. Looking for the new EP from Brighton singer-songwriter Who Do You Pray To? in March.
13. JOE UNKNOWN is a Camberley punk poet who has been compared to Slowtai and inspired by everything from drum and bass to The Damned.
14. BEAUX – Pop star Storytelling has signed with Dirty Hit (home of The 1975) for three EPs.
15. RATS – Supported the DMA tour and is their first release on the new This Feeling label. Based on The Clash and Blur.
16. RICHARD FARLEY is a Birmingham-born singer and songwriter who creates “emotionally sensitive hip-pop.” You may have heard his debut EP “Maybe I’m Just A Little Bit Broken” or seen him support Becky Hill.
17. AARON SMITH – Nocturnal, the single from this Scottish singer-songwriter, is one of the sincere new releases of 2021. Expect even more dizzying music from him in the new year.
18. PRIYA RAGU is a Tamil-Swiss singer and songwriter whose R&B and electro-pop sound has earned her a spot on the music show Later … With Jools Holland. We will see much more of it in 2022.
19. BREE RUNWAY – Shortlisted by BBC Sound in 2021, this vibrant Hackney pop phenomenon has worked with Missy Elliot and is in Michelle Obama’s field of vision.
20. ALISSIK – Brazilian-born Alyssic is the wife of BMTH’s Oli Sykes, who wrote and produced her first single, Like. You can expect more whimsical pop from her to brighten up 2022 soon.
21. EYK – that is, everyone you know, brothers, singer Rhys Kirkby-Cox and producer Harvey Kirby, mix hip-hop, garage, dance and punk. Their single, There For You, aired widely when it was selected as Radio 1’s Tune of the Week.
22. TAY VERDES is an American singer who funded his career by winning a dating show and whose track Stuck In The Middle was the breakout song of 2021.