The inside moment when King Charles found out the Queen was dying

“Can you be quiet? Call.”

These words were spoken to an American journalist who was at King Charles’ home in Scotland to interview Camilla just hours before Queen Elizabeth II died on September 8.

NBC Today host Jenna Bush Hager, daughter of former US President George W. Bush, gave a rare glimpse into what went on behind closed doors when Charles, 73, received a phone call that his mother’s health was failing.

This was stated by 40-year-old Bush Hager. US program on the evening of 7 September, she and her husband Henry Hager had an intimate dinner with the then Prince of Wales at Dumfries House. The Duchess of Cornwall was unable to join as her British Airways flight was delayed.

Possibly hinting at how quickly the Queen’s health began to decline, the broadcaster said that Charles did not seem to show any signs that the Queen’s health was a concern, adding that they “had a lovely evening filled with joyful conversation.” “.

“He (Charles) said, ‘My dear wife is so sad (she can’t cook dinner)… She can’t wait to sit down with you tomorrow,'” Ms. Bush Hager said on NBC. “So I think it (the queen’s death) was kind of a surprise.”

The next morning, Bush Hager returned to Dumfries House with her team to prepare for an interview with Camille around 1:30 pm.

Bush Hager said she sensed something was wrong around 12:30 p.m. when she heard “running down the hallways.”

“It was her (Camilla’s) team and his (Charles’) team… They came in and said, ‘Can you be quiet, bell.’

“We were right next to the then office of Prince Charles and now King Charles III. They said, “He’s calling, could you turn it down?” And suddenly we heard a helicopter.

“They said, ‘The queen is ill, and they left and hurried to her.’

Just hours later, Buckingham Palace announced that Her Majesty had passed away “peacefully” at the age of 96.

Charles immediately ascended the throne, and his wife Camilla became queen consort, and Prince William received the title of Prince of Wales.

Despite his grief, Charles has had numerous engagements since his mother died.

He spent most of Tuesday in Northern Ireland after flying in from Edinburgh on Tuesday morning.

The King and Queen Consort arrived in Belfast late Tuesday morning (UK time) and were received by the Lord Lieutenant of Belfast, Dame Mary Jay-O’Boyle of Fionnual, and Secretary of Northern Ireland Chris Heaton-Harris.

The royal couple then traveled to Hillsborough Castle in County Down, the only residence of the royal family in Northern Ireland.

Charles smiled as he greeted the children who had gathered outside to greet him, as well as the well-wishers offering flowers.

At the castle, the new king met with the country’s political leaders, including high-ranking members of Sinn Féin, the republican party that was closely linked to the IRA during the turmoil and refuses to swear allegiance to the crown.

At Hillsborough, Charles promised to follow the “brilliant example” set by his mother for her “long life in public service”.

The King then went to St Anne’s Cathedral in Belfast for a reflection service for the Queen.

On Monday evening, Charles and his three siblings – Prince Andrew, Princess Anne and Prince Edward – held a vigil over the Queen’s coffin at St Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh.

Then, on Tuesday evening, he arranged a private meeting at Buckingham Palace with close family members, including Prince William, Prince Harry, Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle, to receive the Queen’s coffin.

Her Majesty’s coffin landed at RAF Northolt shortly after 19:00 (4:00 AEST) and was taken to the palace, where she will spend her last night before lying in Westminster Hall.

Read related topics:Queen Elizabeth II

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: